Military Tuition Assistance Funds
Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is a source of financial aid for active duty military and is awarded to Service members under the assumption that they will complete the entire period of enrollment for which the assistance is awarded.
An eligible Service member who decides to use TA will be enrolled only after the TA is approved by the individual’s ESO, military counselor, or Service. Questions concerning this should be directed to the MCC Assistant Director of Veterans Services.
Return of Unearned Military TA Funds
When a Service member officially or unofficially withdraws (stops attending classes – the last date of attendance will be the last day of activity within a course), they may no longer be eligible for the full amount of tuition assistance that they were originally scheduled to receive.
Once the last date of attendance has been determined, the College will recalculate the Service member’s TA eligibility based on the formula below:
Number of Days of the Term Completed divided by the Total Days of the Term = Percent of TA Earned
The amount of TA earned is determined on a prorated basis. For example, if a student completed 30% of the course, they earned 30% of the TA funds awarded. The remainder of the unearned funds (70%) would be returned to the TA program. Calculated unearned funds will be returned by the College to the Military Service and not to the Service member.
The calculation for the return of funds may result in the Service member owing a balance to the College. This return of funds calculation aligns with the return of unearned student financial aids rules applicable to Federal Student Aid rules as required under HEA, Section 484B and 34CFR 668.22.
Service members who withdraw after the 60% point in the semester will have earned all Military TA funds.
If a Service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, the College will work with the affected Service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion.
Students receiving TA funds and contemplating a complete withdrawal from the College may direct their questions to Veterans Services if they are concerned about financial implications.
15-week Course Withdraw submitted:
- Before week 1: 100% return
- During week 1: 99-93% return
- During week 2: 92-86% return
- During week 3: 85-79% return
- During week 4: 78-73% return
- During week 5: 72-66% return
- During week 6: 65-57% return
- During week 7: 56-50% return
- During week 8: 49-41% return
- During week 9: 40% return (60% of course is completed)
- During weeks 10-15: 0% return
Books and Supplies
The estimated cost of books and supplies is $0 - $1,000 per semester. Note that some programs require specific supplies or equipment that may go above this estimate.
Estimated Cost of Attendance
The following cost of attendance estimates identify common expenses a typical full-time student may incur during the academic year. While actual expenditures may vary by student, these estimated amounts can help plan an annual budget.
Full Year 2022-2023
|Room & Board||$10,000|
- GI Bill® Information:
GI Bill® Website
GI Bill® Hotline - 1-888-442-4551
- Veterans Outreach Center
- Rochester Vet Center
- Rochester VA Outpatient Clinic
- Canandaigua VA Medical Center
- Monroe County Veterans Service Agency
The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 requires educational institutions to make certain disclosures to students using federal military and/or VA educational benefits. To view and print a copy of an estimated personalized cost of attendance you can visit the SUNY Net Price Cost Calculator and select Monroe from the dropdown. Additional financial information can be found at the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) College Navigator site.
The SUNY Financial Aid Plan (FAP) will provide a more in-depth analysis and accurate picture of student cost once the student has filed their FAFSA, completed a SUNY application, and has been accepted by a campus.
Cohort Default Rate
Monroe Community College will disclose the rate in the event the CDR rises above the national average. MCC's current CDR is 5.3%.
How to Get Started with the VA
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers a wide range of benefits for the veterans of our country, service members, and their families. Benefits administered by the VA include:
- Compensation and Pension
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment
- Home Loans
- Survivors Benefits
- Life Insurance
For more information visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
Application for Benefits
Forms for a variety of benefits administered by the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs.
Discover majors and in-demand careers and education based on your interests or skills gained from prior learning and work experience. Veterans can find civilian careers related to their military occupation by using Career Coach.