American Rescue Plan

The American Rescue Plan is a legislation that assists those financially impacted by the COVID - 19 pandemic. This plan is associated with the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF). If a student or parent can document a significant change in their reported 2019 income, additional federal funding could be added to their 2021 - 2022 financial aid award.

Changes in Financial Circumstances

In hopes of increasing your federal grant eligibility, our financial aid professionals can legally change the reported income to reflect your current financial status.

Nicole Meyers


Monday - Friday, 9:00AM - 4:00PM


(585) 292-2589


(585) 292-3840


Eligible MCC students are enrolled in the Fall 2021 and or Spring 2022 semesters. In addition, students may fall under one or more of the following:

  • Not eligible to receive the federal PELL grant for the 2021 - 2022 school year
  • Receving a reduced federal PELL grant for the 2021 - 2022 school year
  • Have not submitted a 2021 - 2022 Change in Circumstance form
  • Does not have a prior bachelor's degree
  • Have not reached PELL lifetime limit
    To learn more about the PELL lifetime limit and if you've reached it, please visit the U.S. Department of Education's Pell Eligibility page.

Acceptable Circumstances

The following situation can be reviewed to reevaluate your financial aid eligibility:

  • Loss of job or permanent/indefinite reduction of work hours
  • Separation or divorce
  • Personal bankruptcy that occurs during the current financial aid year
  • Death of a member of your immediate family
  • Reduction/loss of child support
  • High non-reimbursed medical expense
  • Your parents took money out of their pension/retirement plan as a one-time payment to help cover expenses
  • Other documented special circumstances outside of the student’s control

How to Apply

If you'd like to apply for the American Rescue Plan Special Circumstance you will be required to provide documentation that illustrates the impact to your financial status.

  • Students will be required to complete the Student Change in Circumstance form.
  • Parents will be required to complete the Parent Change in Circumstance form. This form requires the student to begin it and provide a valid email address for the parent. Our office will then email the parent their portion of the form to complete, this includes a section to upload documents and calculate projected income.