Interviewers generally give time at the end of the interview for questions. This is your opportunity to learn more about the position, the work environment, and the company, and to help determine if they are the right fit for you.
Below are some questions you can ask your interviewer:
About the Job
- Why is this position open? Is this a new position?
- Why did the person who held this position most recently leave?
- What do you see as the major responsibilities of this position?
- What kind of support or supervision does this position receive?
- Tell me about my prospective supervisor.
- Describe a typical day on the job and the overall work environment.
- What personal qualities/characteristics are most important for success in this job?
- What is the starting date for this position?
- Is there any travel required for this position?
- Describe how staff meetings are structured.
- What is the time frame for filling this position?
- What are the most challenging aspects of this position?
- What qualities are you looking for in new hires?
- How is an employee evaluated and promoted?
About Training and Professional Development
- What kind of orientation and training is available for new employees?
- What are the opportunities for professional growth?
About the Company
- What are the organization's plans for future growth?
- What are some of the other offices/employees with which I would work?
- Do you have any information available on the surrounding community?
- In what ways has this company been most successful in terms of products and services over the years?
- What are your organization’s strengths and weaknesses?
- Do you operate in a centralized or decentralized manner?
- Do you encourage creativity?
About the Interviewer
- Why did you join and stay with this organization?
- Describe your typical client/customer/student.
Questions to Ask About Next Steps
- Is there anything that concerns you about my background being a fit for this role?
- What are the next steps in the interview process?
- Is there anything else I can provide you with that would be helpful?
- Can I answer any final questions for you?