According to the United States Assistive Technology Act of 1998, assistive technology (also called adaptive technology) refers to any “product, device, or equipment, whether acquired commercially, modified or customized, that is used to maintain, increase, or improve the functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities.” Common computer related assistive technology products include screen magnifiers, large-key keyboards, alternative input devices such as touch screen displays, speech recognition programs, and text readers.
- Login to a student computer.
- Select the "Accessible Resources" folder on the desktop.
- Use the available assistive technology programs.
- Go to the Bookshare website
- Create a free account.
- Find and download the e-books you want to access and read.